News of: Monday, June 30 2008,
Travellers to Amsterdam may experience problems, as several large maintenance projects have started.
Until Monday 25th Augustus major maintenance work is carried out on Prins Hendrikkade / IJtunnel/ a part of the Nieuwe Leeuwarderweg and the Metro tunnel.
The maintenance is scheduled to take place until August 25.
1. The metro between Amsterdam Central Station and Amsterdam Amstel station will be closed until August 25.
- There will be busses between CS and Amstel.
- The train from Amsterdam CS to Amsterdam Amstel is not affected
2. Prins Hendrikkade will be partly closed for traffic.
This is the main road in front of the Central Station.
3. The IJ tunnel will be closed
This is the tunnel under the IJ, the water behind the Central Station.
Public transport, taxis and emergency services will remain able to use the tunnel.
Travelling to Amsterdam by plane and train is not affected, so tourists to Amsterdam will mostly not experience problems.
Official information in English is here.